When I registered to vote on my 18th birthday, I didn’t even hesitate to check off “Republican”. A party my family so firmly stood behind. On my 18th birthday, I was a fresh high school graduate with no solid religious beliefs and no outside understanding of the outside world. Be a christian and a college freshman truly changes your perspective on things and before the Leftist start cheering because they gained another member. . . I am not one of you either. There are many thing on either side that I do not agree with and I’ll take my time to explain my views and why they don’t align with either party.
- I am pro life, meaning I am not just against abortion but euthanasia and the death penalty.
- I am not anti-gay because I am christian, I love all my LGBTQ brothers and sisters.
- I am not a feminist because I believe in gender roles but I do think women should be treated fairly and with respect.
- I believe in equality for all races and ethnicities
- I do not believe in letting illegal immigrants live here but I also do not believe in deporting millions of innocent people for the sake of ourselves
- I believe in cheap higher education but not making the rich pay for it.
- I believe in more women in the senate
- I believe in feeding the hungry and assisting the poor but not just handing out free money because Jesus didn’t give the people fish, he taught them how to fish).
- I don’t believe in global warming but I do believe taking care of mother earth is important because hey, we only get one earth.
- The two party system is not sustainable
- I believe in the second amendment but better background checks.
- I am christian before I am a party
This list is only an short bullet example of why I can not side with just one party. Jesus served and loved and, personally, neither party does both. Choosing a candidate who represents the values of Jesus Christ and not their party platform. I pray you evaluate your reasoning for siding with a party. Is it because you’ve been this way all this time? Your dad is a republican? Your school is more liberal? What do YOU want in a candidate ? Take a look and decide if a party is actually your best option. Best wishes – Lex.