Love is something most people can’t give a definition to. It’s complex and multi-dimensional. It is something that is perceived differently by every single person on this planet but God tells us exactly what Love is. In 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 it states. . .
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away”
I think is is so amazing that God gives us a break down of what love really is. I really want to go deep with a few of the main points in this scripture. Love is so amazing and wonderful and something that needs to be understood in depth.
- Love is patient: Being patient with your significant other and with God. Trying to be patient as to when God wants to give you a person to love. Being patient to your significant other no matter how difficult that can be. Showing them your full attention and support no matter the place or time. Patience is a virtue especially when it comes to Love.
- Love is kind: Being kind when it comes to your partner and God. Remembering to not get angry with God when relationships do not work out or when they are just are not happening at all. Being kind is something we should practice every day but especially within relationships. Being kind is something that goes a long way especially when you least expect it to.
- It keeps no record of wrong: This is such an important thing, I can not emphasize it enough. Forgive and Forget is such a significant part of relationships. Bringing up faults from weeks ago does not benefit anyone. It’s about realizing your wrongs, fixing them, and moving on. Forgive like Jesus did and Forget like Jesus did. Remembering to focus on the greatness of your significant other or anyone for that matter, and just forgive them unconditionally.
- It always trusts: A generation plagued by social media trust becomes such a weak part of a relationship. You have to trust that God will allow that person to be honest and you need to be able to trust that person wholeheartedly. Trust is something that starts at one hundred percent and somehow gets damaged but a relationship that is pure and centered on God can stay at one hundred for the entirety of it.
- Love never fails: Living in a country where the divorce rate is 50% , this is a hard concept to wrap our brain around. True love does not fail. Imagine an infallible love.It looks like Jesus on the cross. That’s the kind of love we should be investing into everyone. Love perseveres and is everlasting. It stays true forever.
This scripture could be broken down so many times and into so many pieces but I think it so important to learn about love, especially the way Jesus loved. I encourage all of you to pray on this scripture and ask God to help open your eyes to a new way of loving. This is not just limited to committed relationships either. This applies to family, friends, and even just random people you meet at the mall. There are so many ways to express love and I pray you all really read into this scripture. Go on and spread the love. – Lex.